Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mt. Fuji

My boys (the three big ones) climbed Mt. Fuji today. It was a long, hard day. They left here at 4:20 am to start the 1 1/2 hr drive to their starting point. They climbed for the next six hours to reach the summit. I had stocked them with oxygen cans, plenty of snacks, and even rain gear. Most of it (except for, of course, the snacks) was not needed.

I tried calling their cell phones at some point and although I did not get through, I was very surprised to have them return my call a while later. It felt like a cell phone commercial.

They all said it was the hardest thing they've done in their entire life. I am SO proud of them for making it all the way!! The way up was difficult, but they said what really did them in was actually the descent. I guess you're just exhausted by then, the anticipation of reaching the top has subsided, and you still have about three hours before you're all done.

They finally made it home at about 6 pm. I thought

the boys would immediately crawl into bed, but they surprised me by staying up and giving me all the details. They ate a HUGE dinner and then hung out and played video games until their regular bed time. Daddy, however, WAS all done for the day. Age will do that to you, I guess.

I am looking forward to getting to do this myself at some point. What I would like to do is start hiking up in the evening, spend the night at one of the huts they have along the way, and then reach the summit at dawn to watch the sunrise. I know I have family out there who would do that with me, so c'mon, get out here!!!!


These pictures are not in any particular order - sorry. I am too tired to try to make it make more sense. I love the amazing views from the top that remind us of the awesome hand of our Creator.
































You can stop at different stations on the way up, where they will brand your walking stick with a different imprint. Makes a very cool and unique souvenir.











At the summit.


2 comments:

  1. Oh.My.Goodness. My kids so far today have eaten a bowl of Golden Grahams, watched an episode of Phineas and Ferb and played Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii. Ummmm. Yeah. I think we need an overseas assignment to get them off the couch!! ;) LOVE the pics! What an amazing day and a memory I'm sure they will carry with them forever! That is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The views are so fantastic; the boys are so handsome!!!(says Grndma)

    ReplyDelete